As part of our SEND improvement work, strategic leaders have worked together to create a new SEND Leadership Charter, which outlines eight key principles which they are all committed to delivery. The Charter includes the following commitment:
- We provide cohesive governance and leadership for delivering these improvements through the Luton Strategic SEND Improvement Group.
- We have detailed and accurate information about children and young people with SEND living in our area and provide public information on how we plan to meet their needs.
- We engage and where possible, directly co-produce with children and young people with SEND and their participation is embedded in our improvement work in a timely way.
- We co-produce with parent carers of children and young people with SEND and their participation is embedded in our improvement work in a timely way.
- We set clear strategic priorities and outcomes for our local area to meet in relation to children, young people with SEND and their families. We will monitor progress towards achieving them and hold each other to account for their delivery.
- We work together to strengthen integration between our organisations; between health, social care, education services, and with wider partners including the third sector.
- We promote early identification, intervention and support for smooth transitions between children and adult services for children and young people with SEND.
- We will work collectively to ensure there is clear understanding of SEND reforms across the local Area and that all staff supporting a child or young person with SEND, understands their responsibility and is accountable for their part in supporting them
Please also see information regarding our SEND Champions. These are key personnel from each of the partner agencies, who are committed to deliver improved services for SEND children and young people in Luton. The role of the SEND champion is to:
- drive forward change and help to embed positive changes to improve outcomes for children and young people with SEND
- ensure that actions in the Written Statement of Action are undertaken
- ensure that quality and performance of SEND services are monitored
- promote working as a Local Area