The ‘Local Offer’ website is an online, one-stop-shop where parents, children, young people and professionals can find out about the education, health and social care support services, voluntary organisations, charities and groups that are available locally to identify and meet the needs of children with SEND and to support families.
In April we launched our refreshed Local Offer and we are back to introduce our new style home page. Following fantastic, constructive feedback from our parent consultation group at our focus group in October we have made a number of changes to our home page that we think make the site more accessible and more user friendly.
Parents told us:
- Hyperlinks in light purple are too difficult to see against the text; maybe make them blue as you often see hyperlinks in blue
- There is too much text on the home page. Could this be reduced and maybe just simply ‘I am a parent’; ‘I am a young person’; ‘I am a professional’ buttons that take the user to frequently asked questions. More videos would be great too
- The website needs to be more accessible to people with little or no English and to those new to Luton
- We need to find as many ways as possible of letting everyone know about the Local Offer
This is what we have done in response to these great suggestions:
- We are launching our new look home page with less text and ‘I am a parent’, ‘I am a child/young person’, ‘I am a professional’, ‘I am an organisation’ buttons. These will replace a lot of the text on the home page
- We have invested in ‘browse aloud’ a function to have the text written and spoken in a wide range of languages.
- We have been really busy getting quite a few videos in community languages ready to be added. Check out a few that are already on about understanding autism; urdu/ hindi, Punjabi, Bengali, Gujarati. Understanding Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) information videos
In addition, coming soon: watch out for our 10 minute videos for parents in community languages on the topics: sleep, managing children’s challenging behaviours, sensory issues and communication and play. Also, see our neurodevelopmental pathway video in community languages.
- We have developed business cards with information on the Local Offer on one side and SENDIASS on the other. These are going out to the hospital, GPs, Edwin Lobo Centre, schools, etc. Also, some smaller leaflets for people to take away after appointments. If you would like to have these cards for parents please contact us on SENDluton@luton.gov.uk
We are committed to making ongoing improvements to our Local Offer so please continue to give us your feedback. There is a feedback button on the Local Offer to give feedback.
We hope you enjoy our new style Local Offer home page and thank you to all the parents who have engaged in our co-production events to improve the Local Offer.