All children and young people who have Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND) are entitled to have a Lead Professional to help ensure the holistic provision and coordination of services and support, as referred to in the SEN Code of Practice. The three core functions of this role are:
- To act as a single point of contact for the child/young person and family, who they can trust and who can engage them in making choices, navigating their way through the system and effecting change
- To coordinate the delivery of an agreed action plan, based on the outcome of the assessment, to ensure that children and families receive an effective services which is regularly reviewed
- To reduce overlap and inconsistency in the services received.
The Strategic SEND Improvement Group (SSIG) endorsed a paper recommending that the role is established for all children and young people who would like to have a Lead Professional represent their wishes, feelings and desires and act as a conduit between other professionals/services and the child/young person.
Soft Launch of the Lead Professional Role in Luton
Please come along to a virtual event of the SEND Lead professional role on December 3rd from 4.00pm to 5.30pm to find out more about this important role. Hear from a school SENCO, an experience foster carer and a young person about their experience and why this role is so important.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to book your place.
Free training to support the role of the Lead Professional
To support the role out of the SEND Lead Professional, new training has been devised for all who are interested, ensuring they will be an effective advocate for the child/young person and their family. The session will be delivered by a Senior Educational Psychologist and forms part of the FREE SEND Improvements training programme. Training sessions (only 1 needs to be attended) have been arranged for
- 09/12/2020 from 10am-12pm
- 26/01/2021 from 10am-12pm
- 09/03/2021 from 10am-12pm
For more details about the training, and to book your place on the training session, please click on the link below: