Skip to main content

I am a child or young person

Welcome to Luton’s Local Offer website - this is where you can find support or information.

There are 3 ways to find what you are looking for:

  • You can use the search facility at the top of the page
  • You can search by topic
  • Or, you can read the answers to these frequently asked questions by clicking on them (below)

How can I make friends and get involved in clubs or activities?

What can I do when I leave school, college or training?

The thought of leaving school or college may be scary or worrying. It may be that you don’t know what options are available to you in and around Luton. Find out what you can do when you leave school here. 

Full time education after school does not necessarily mean you will attend for five days a week. The Transition Team can help guide you through the education options open to you. The Learning Disability Team can help guide you through social care options open to you.

Related information

What training or job options do I have now that I have left school or further education?

Want to find out what training you can get or what job options are available when you leave school, college or finish your apprenticeship? Find out who can support you with this here. 

Can I get help with getting to college or training?

You may need help or support with transport or getting to college or training. Find out what support may be available here.

Related information

What is an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) and how do I get one?

Find out more about what an EHCP is and how to get one with this easy read guide for children and young people.

Download the easy read guide (pdf)

Related information

Who can help me to understand what I need to do and what is involved in asking for an EHC Needs Assessment?

There are people who can help you understand more about what’s involved in asking for an EHC Needs Assessment and they can even help you with applying for one so do get in touch with these services below.

Related information

What does a ‘Lead Professional’ do?

All of us at some time in our lives, need a bit of help.

Sometimes, there are several different people helping at the same time and it becomes important that these people all work together.

When different people are giving you some help, someone is needed to make sure that all these people know about you and know what your wishes, hopes and views are.

Someone may also need to make sure that everyone works together to help you the best way they can. We call this person a ‘Lead Professional’.

In choosing a Lead Professional someone will be chosen that you feel you can talk to, easily or who you feel comfortable with. It will also need to be someone who can do the things needed as well as possible.

They will always:

  • Ask for your views and your family’s views about you
  • Talk to you about what your hopes and wishes are for now and for the future
  • Make sure that everyone works together to help you to achieve the best you can.

The Lead Professional - information for young people and parents

What happens when I'm 18?

The people who support you will change when you reach 18. 

The information in the Moving from children’s to adult services will help you understand these changes.

Moving from children’s to adult services

Related information

How can I get involved?

Interested in finding out more about or getting involved in the work that is going on to improve the services and experiences of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities in Luton?

We really welcome feedback from children and young people. Use the feedback buttons on the Local Offer.

You can also get involved in giving your views on surveys and consultations that are often online on the Local Offer.

We are always keen to work together and with children and young people to improve the experiences, services, provision and outcomes for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). You can find out about our SEND improvement work and how to get involved here. 

Related information

I am becoming an adult, how can I make my own decisions?

This tool is part of the Additional Helpful Tools: Planning My Future Life booklet.  Please click the version you would like to download:

What is a personal budget?

A personal budget is money set aside for a young person with an Education, Health and Care Plan or a parent of a child or young person by their local council.

It can be used to buy some of the support a child or young person gets in their education, health and care plan.

Sometimes a local council will keep this money and use it to buy some support that a young person or their family might need.

Find out more about personal budgets here. Don’t forget you can also ask SENDASS for help to understand this information.

Related information

What help with or about housing is there if I want to live as independently as possible?

Most of us want to live as independently as possible and this can include living on our own. Sometimes we don’t want to live completely on our own and we may need some support. 

What are my options if I want to leave home?

Many young people reach a point when they would like to leave home and live independently. Most will rent a home from a private landlord, either by themselves or in a shared house. Tenants have rights and responsibilities and can get housing advice from Luton Council or other advice partners such as Citizens Advice Bureau. The Housing advice line for LBC is 01582 510371 or email For people at risk of homelessness, we advise seeking advice as early as possible and the council can help you to access rented accommodation for example by providing a rent deposit.

Local residents can also apply to the council’s housing register and bid for available affordable housing properties through the Bedfordshire Homefinder system. It is important to be aware that it can take many years to secure a suitable property in this way, and, as there are more applicants than properties available, most people who apply do not find accommodation through this route.

What are my options if I want to leave home and I need support to live independently?

If you are a young adults who is unable to live independently in the community there are a number of supported living and residential homes in Luton and surrounding areas and these can be found on this local offer website.

Supported living means having your own tenancy and support from a care provider who have staff who stay nearby. The ranges of support can vary depending on your needs; you may need staff coming in occasionally or being present 24 hours a day. Staff can support you with a range of things such as cooking a meal, paying your bills or helping you have a shower. Some people living in supported living arrangements have independent flats with their own kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and living room whilst others might be larger bedrooms within a house with shared communal space.

Residential care offers 24 hour care for young adults with higher needs such as at night time and there will always be staff present. Usually residential homes are quite small now and you’ll have your own room and there will be shared communal areas. Some residential homes have nurses there if people have certain health needs, these are usually referred to as nursing homes.

Talking to young adults and their families is really important to help us understand what type of residential care and supported living is needed. This helps us decide together about new supported living and residential accommodation that is local and is designed around what young adults need and want. We work closely with NHS England, Housing Providers and Commissioners to plan for the future.

If you would like to find out more about local supported living and residential/nursing homes search what’s available on the local offer.

What help can I have to live to support me to become more independent when I’ve found somewhere to live?

Luton Council’s Prevention and Enablement team work closely with voluntary and community groups to support young adults living independently in the community. Their support can range from supporting you to learn the practical skills to live independently by making training plans to help with things like paying bills, cooking, using apps via your phone to shop. Local Area Coordinators will also support you to make new friends and become more connected and move actively involved in the community.

Many young adults who move in to residential care or supported living really want to live more independently and your transition worker will sit down with you and your family and the supported living or residential home to plan what you would like to do and what you would like to achieve. Our residential homes work closely with Luton Council to support people to move to transition to supported living when the time is right for you.

Recently we created three training flats that support young adults to move on to independent living, each flat has its own bathroom, living area and bedroom with a shared kitchen and is equipped with personal technology to really maximise independence. Young adults can live there for up to two years in which time along with gaining independence we will support you to move in to independent living.

Penrose – an organisation that can help

Penrose is an organisation that provides housing related support for anyone living in Luton.
Anyone can self-refer to Penrose who provide housing related support for citizens of Luton. This would cover issues such as accessing benefits and understanding your tenancy agreement. Referrals can be made via the email or 01582 343230. If you are in touch with a support worker or social worker, they can also make a referral.

Related information

What can I do if I need help with money?

Do you need help with money or benefits? Do you have debts or problems paying for fuel and energy? If you would like help or advice about managing money or knowing what you are entitled to, find out more here.

Related information

What can I do to stay healthy or to get fitter?

What can I do if I feel sad or unhappy or am worried about my mental health?

Many of us feel sad, lonely, worried, angry or unhappy at times. Most of the time these feelings pass after a short while. If we feel these things a lot or for a long time it is important to find someone to talk to about how we are feeling. You may be able to talk to a friend or family member, someone at school or college or maybe your doctor. As well as doing all of this there are services and organisations who can also offer help and support. Find out where you can get help here.


A series of interviews and discussions brought to you jointly by the Luton and Bedford Service User Participation Group and the Luton and Bedford CAMHS Team. Both are part of the East London NHS Foundation Trust.

Related information

How do I raise a concern or make a complaint?

We want all our services to be excellent, but we know things can go wrong sometimes and although no-one likes to get a complaint, these can help improve services and service user experiences.

It is also nice to know when we are getting things right, and that people are happy with our services.

We will record your compliment and share it with the individual or team that you are complimenting. These are shared with senior managers who will congratulate the staff.

We welcome your views. We will record your comments and let you know if we use them.

Related information

How do I explain my SEND to other family members?

Help with explaining your SEND to other family members can be found on the Sibs website