Produced in coproduction with parents, young people and professionals our SEND Working Together Charter sets out 7 principles for working with children and young people with SEND. These principles are:
- All voices are heard - To listen to children, young people and their families and ensure their views are taken seriously.
- Valuing expertise - To value and respect experiences of children, young people and their families, as they are the experts in their life. To also respect the service practitioners opinions as they are experts in their field.
- Work together from the beginning -To involve children, young people and their families from the start
- Sharing is Caring - To share appropriate information accordingly with all necessary practitioners
- Honesty and Transparency – Trust is necessary in order to create positive working relationships between children, young people and their families and the professionals who work with them
- Open to New Ideas - To find new ways to solve problems for the best interest of the children, young people and their families. To have the ability to be flexible with your approach to the needs of the children and young people
- My life, my choice - To make sure children and young people can take part in discussions about their lives and be empowered
So far in Luton, the following organisations have signed up to the Charter and are committed to implementing the principles in practice
- Luton Council
- Luton Clinical Commissioning Group
- Luton and Dunstable Hospital
- East London Community Foundation who deliver our CAMHS services
- Cambridge Community Services
- Luton Flying Start Children’s Centres
- The Mall Nursery
- Denbigh Preschool
- Little People’s Nursery
- Chapel Street Nursery
- Gill Blowers Nursery
- Fun 2 Learn Nursery and Preschool
- Hillborough Infants School
- Foxdell Juniors
- Icknield Primary
If you would like to sign up your setting or organisation please contact us on SENDLuton@luton.gov.uk to express your interest. We will send you the pledge for you to sign and display, and a range of resources both digital and in hard copy are available for publicity. Around 3-6 months after sign up we will contact you to ask for some evidence of implementation against the 7 principles.
We will also be promoting those organisations who have signed up to the Charter on the Local Offer.
For more information contact Stephanie Cash – SEND Improvements Programme Director Stephanie.firstname.lastname@example.org