Skip to main content

Debts or problems paying for fuel and energy?

Is your home draughty or badly insulated?
Do you have a problem paying your fuel or energy bills?
Do you or your family members suffer from ill health as a result of where you live?

Affordable Warmth
Luton Borough Council, Unity House, 111 Stuart Street, Luton LU1 5NP
Tel: 01582 546794
Provide advice about saving energy in the home and reducing fuel bills. This can include home visits.

Charis Grants
Charis Grants Ltd, Midgate House, Midgate, Peterborough, PE1 1TN
Tel: 01733 421021
Charis administers trust funds for British Gas, EDF, Npower and Affinity Water.
This is aimed at people who have had a problem meeting payments in the past, and are now able to afford the costs of their ongoing energy use but facing an impossible task to clear arrears. Successful applicants need to demonstrate they can pay their ongoing energy bills for an agreed period – after which they can have arrears completely written off. 
The trust can also help meet the costs of essential household items such as washing machines or cookers. And can assist with bankruptcy deposits and funeral expenses.

WaterSure Scheme
Ofwat, Centre City Tower, 7 Hill Street, Birmingham, B5 4UA
Tel: 0121 644 7500
WaterSure scheme – help with paying water bills
Available to certain customers with a water meter. It allows them to have their bills capped. This is to make sure that these customers don’t cut back on how much water they use because they are worried about how they will pay their bill. Applicants must be receiving qualifying benefits, and have either three or more children under 19 living in the property, or someone in the property must have a qualifying medical condition.

Fuel Direct
To arrange fuel direct, get in touch with Jobcentre Plus and your fuel supplier. Jobcentre Plus will contact your supplier to check that they agree with you paying this way.
If you're on certain benefits, you can arrange to pay your fuel arrears direct from your benefit. This scheme is called fuel direct. You must be getting on of the following benefits to qualify:

  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income Support
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit.

The amount you pay is fixed by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).
Fuel direct is often cheaper and more convenient than a prepayment meter. And you won't run out of gas or electricity.

Affinity Water (previously Veolia Water)
Customers of Affinity Water have access to a number of schemes to help them manage their water payments more effectively. 
Visit or email for more information on any of the schemes.
Water Direct – if you are on qualifying benefits and behind with your water bill you can arrange to pay your water bill directly from your benefits.
Affinity Water Trust Grants – to help pay off debt arising from water or other energy bills. Visit and complete an application.

Warm Home Discount
To find out the qualifying criteria of your energy supplier visit
If you are on a low income, you may qualify for the Warm Home Discount Scheme. This gives a rebate to pensioners on low incomes. The rebate is £140 on your electricity bill for winter 2015 -2016.
If you do not get the Guaranteed Element of Pension Credit you can contact your electricity supplier directly to see if you qualify for help. 

Who to contact


Last updated 04/08/2022