Skip to main content

Working with Children

Working with children can be a challenge but it can also be very rewarding; there are several different ways that you can work with children in Luton.

Become a childminder

As a childminder you would work in your own home and look after other people’s children.

As a childminder some of your duties will include making sure the children are clean, warm, fed and watered, stimulated and happy. You will have to follow the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS). You may also have to transport a child to and from school commonly known as a drop off or pick up. Childminders are self-employed and can negotiate their hours and how much they charge with the parents. 

To enrol on the training courses to become a childminder you will need a working use of the English language and be 18 years or older.

For more information please see the “Pre-registration for childminders” booklet .

Become a home childcarer

As a home childcarer you would work in the home of the child or children you are looking after other people’s children.

As a home childcarer your duties will be similar to those of a childminder (please see above).

To enrol on the training courses to become a home childcarer you will need a working use of the English language and be 18 years or older.

For more information please see the “Pre-registration for home childcarers” booklet.

Set up your own childcare provision

You may choose to set up your own setting such as a nursery, preschool, breakfast or after school club or holiday scheme.

If you choose to set up your own provision you will need to find a suitable venue, carry out research on the demand for childcare in that area, find and employ suitably qualified staff and many other aspects. As the owner or manager of the setting you would be expected to have or undertake relevant training.

The Childcare Advice and Support Team at Luton Borough Council will be there to help you along the way and once you are fully set up and registered with Ofsted.

For more information please see “Setting up a childcare provision” booklet in the Useful Documents section below.

Work in an existing childcare setting

This may be better for you if you would prefer to work with children without having to set up your own business. This can vary depending on the age range you would like to work with.

If you choose to work in a nursery or preschool you will be working as part of a team, planning and organising stimulating educational and fun activities and taking care of the children’s personal needs, such as food, washing and sleep. 

In a breakfast or afterschool club you may be involved in planning and carrying out of different stimulating and relaxing activates with children and young people. You could be doing anything from joining in their games and providing breakfast to helping with homework and giving them a safe place to play and make learning fun. A holiday scheme would be along the same lines except you would not be expected to help with homework.

While it is possible, it is unlikely that you will be able to start a childcare career without a relevant qualification. There are different routes you can undertake to gain a relevant qualification, these include:

  • full time study at a college which can take up to two years
  • work based study which requires you to have a work placement and can take up to 18 months

You will need to contact the childcare providers to find out whether they have any current vacancies, or are able to take you on as a volunteer; a list of these can be found in the childcare section of this directory.

Once you have secured a work placement you will need to speak to your workplace to see if they would be willing to arrange for you to do a childcare apprenticeship. Alternatively you can contact the local colleges for more information on childcare qualifications.


Before choosing to set up a new childcare business you may want to carry out some research to find out about the supply and demand, and the number of existing childcare in the local area. You can find out some information on the Reports and surveys - childcare in Luton page of the Luton Borough Council website, or by contacting Luton Family Information Service.


Download: Becoming a childminder
Download: Becoming a home childcarer
Download: Childcare on non-domestic premises

Who to contact

Contact Name
Luton Family Information Service

Where to go

1st Floor, Futures House
The Moakes

Last updated 26/11/2019