Total Wellbeing Luton
Total Wellbeing supports people living in Luton who want to improve their physical and emotional health. This support includes:
Exercise for managing Long Term Conditions
How do I get active when I am too stressed about my condition and too worried what I am able to even do?
Out specialist team look after and support people with a long term health condition to help you get more active in a controlled environment and with the help of a rehab exercise specialist.
What does our course look like?
- specialised programmes for people diagnosed with a LTC inc Cancer, Stroke, Respiratory, Neuro, Cardiac and mental health
- 12 week physical rehab to help manage the condition
- L4 specialist trainer
- £2.50 per session
- 1:1 support or small group based
- taken place at any of our Active Luton Centres
- social, physical and emotional support throughout
- available for anyone over the age of 16 living in Luton or have registered Luton GP
- excellent exit routes and continued support after the 12 week course
If you are thinking about getting more active but not sure how please call us on 0300 555 4152 for your free assessment.
Stop Smoking Support
How do I give up smoking when I am dealing with stress as it helps me cope?
We understand the stresses you may face when caring for your child and family, people experiencing stress and distress are more likely to be smoking more. Quitting smoking can be less stressful than you fear and can ultimately improve your sense of wellbeing which can help you cope and manage better.
There is evidence to say that people who quit smoking are likely to have improved mental wellbeing in particular:
- reduced depression
- reduced anxiety
- improved mood
- improved quality of life
Quitting isn’t always easy but getting the right stop smoking aids and support can stop you feeling like you need a cigarette all the time. Smokers who quit for 6 weeks or more are happier and experience less stress and anxiety than those who carry on smoking.
Total Wellbeing stop smoking service can help you take control and support you on your stop smoking journey. Service can offer a wide range of treatment alongside behavioural support, we to inform that quitting can be less stressful than you fear and can ultimately improve your sense of wellbeing.
What support is available for me?
- Total Wellbeing stop smoking programme offers;
- free 6 to 12 weeks one to one behavioral support
- free Carbon monoxide monitoring
- free Nicotine Replacement Therapy*
- medication options such as Champix and Zyban
- free E-cig and Liquids for 4 weeks via community vape shop.
If you are thinking about quitting smoking please call us on 0300 555 4152. We can offer you the right support and treatment to help you quit for good. We have a dedicated team of specialist advisors who will support you through your programme and help you choose the right treatment. You are 3 times more likely to give up smoking with the service than doing it on your own.
Taking care of others needs can sometimes mean yours are pushed to the side. Even if it is to take some time to yourself doing something you enjoy. Social Prescription can link you to community organisations that can support you to work through non-medical issues.
We focus on what is a priority to the individual and support them to form a plan with realistic goals to help them to feel more in control of what is causing them concern. SP Link Workers work across Luton GP surgeries.
Types of support we link people to include:
- physical activity
- social groups / befriending /creative workshops
- learning/ educational opportunities
- emotional wellbeing support
- support getting back to work including volunteering
- professional advice - eg benefits, housing,
- support groups for specific long term conditions, disabilities
- support for carers
You can contact your GP for a referral to your SP Link Worker or you can self-refer by contacting Total Wellbeing on 0300 555 4152.
Manage your weight with nutrition and physical activity support
If you’re finding it hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle and manage your weight the Total Wellbeing Adult Healthy Lifestyles Programme can help.
You will have the option of signing up to any of the following:
- a10-session programme combines nutrition advice and exercise to help with weight loss in a healthy, realistic and sustainable way. Group sessions are available across Luton and are run in the daytime and evening, lasting for an hour and a half
- online weight loss programme – a series of videos can be completed in your own time if you find you have a very busy schedule. Each video is no more than 10 minutes and you will also receive a workbook with additional information
- virtual group workshops – if you would like to log in to discuss a different healthy living topic each week with a nutritionist then this is the option for you. Sessions run evenings for up to 60 minutes
- exercise on referral – if you would like to focus on exercise only to manage your weight or improve your wellbeing then please visit your GP. They will then assess you and if eligible you will be referred to the service for a 12-week programme.
If you are unsure whether you would benefit from a healthy lifestyle programme you can check your BMI on the NHS website using the BMI calculator.
The service is designed for adults with a BMI between 25 and 44.9. If you’re over 18
- speak to your GP to see if you would benefit
- self-refer by filling in the online enquiry form found on our website
- or you can contact the team on 0300 555 4152 to complete your free assessment.
Who to contact
- Referral required
- Referral Details
You can make a self referral by phone 0300 555 4152 or our online form
Referrals also accepted by other professionals.
Last updated 22/04/2021