National Grid - Gas Emergency Service
IF YOU SMELL GAS OR SUSPECT A CARBON MONOXIDE LEAK:
Call us free* on our 24-hour GAS and CARBON MONOXIDE emergency helpline, 0800 111 999
All calls to this emergency number are recorded and may be monitored for training purposes. If English is not your first language we will find an interpreter who will translate for you.
* Some mobile providers may charge for this call.
Practical steps: What to do if you smell gas
- Do turn off the gas at the meter unless the meter is in a cellar/basement
- Don’t smoke or strike matches
- Don’t turn electrical switches on or off
- Do put out naked flames
- Do open doors and windows
- Do keep people away from the area affected
When to call the emergency number
To assist us to deal with emergency calls effectively please ONLY call the national gas emergency number (0800 111 999) if you:
- smell gas
- suspect an emission of carbon monoxide, or
- wish to report a fire or explosion.
Once you have completed your call and undertaken the safety measures we have recommended please be patient; an engineer will be with you as soon as possible.
Who to contact
- Gas emergency - 0800 111 999 (calls are recorded and may be monitored)
- National Grid
Last updated 01/12/2021