Skip to main content

Early Years Pupil Premium

Additional funding for your childcare provider or school to support your child’s learning and development. For three and four year old children.

What is EYPP?

It is extra funding from the government to help your three or four year old child’s early education.
If you are eligible, the childcare provider or school that your child attends could claim up to £300 extra a year to help support and improve your child’s individual learning.
It can be claimed by Ofsted registered nurseries, pre-schools, childminders, or schools, that provide your child’s funded 15 hours.

How does it help my child?

It could help your child to:

  • enjoy a wider range of learning experiences
  • benefit from extra resources and equipment suited to their needs
  • be more prepared for starting school

Who is eligible?

You may apply for the EYPP if:

  • your child is already receiving free part-time early education hours and
  • you are on certain benefits, allowances, or a low income or
  • your child is or has been in care


Three and four year olds in state-funded early education will attract EYPP funding if they meet at least one of the following criteria:

  • their family receives one of the following:
    Income Support
    income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999    
    the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
    Child Tax Credit (provided they’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
    Working Tax Credit run-on, which is paid for four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
    Universal Credit
  • they have been in local-authority care for 1 day or more in England or Wales
  • they have been adopted from care in England or Wales
  • they have left care under a special guardianship order or residence order in England or Wales

How can I apply?

To apply for EYPP, you need to do the following:

  • contact your childcare provider or school
  • provide them with some additional information to check if you are eligible

Last updated 16/06/2017