Nutrition and dietetic service for adults with a learning disability in Luton
We provide a service to adults with a learning disability aged 18 and above.
Our service accepts referrals in line with our referral criteria from GPs, consultants, nurses and other health professionals (eg physiotherapists, speech and language therapists). If your referral cannot be accepted by us, you can get support from other teams, including:
- Health Facilitation team
- Adult Learning Disability team
- local weight management services
- GP practice nurses
Patients and their relatives/carers/support workers are seen in clinic, their day centre or their own home. A choice of dates and times will be offered when booking an appointment.
The service will assess adults with a learning disability where there are concerns about:
- being underweight or at risk of malnutrition
- being overweight or obese
- other nutritional concerns
The dietitian will undertake a full assessment and provide individual dietary advice on how best to improve their nutrition.
When you stop having appointments with the dietitian you will be provided with a plan to follow at home. You can always be re-referred in the future if more advice is needed.
Websites and apps which you may find useful are:
- The British Dietetic Association - look for the Food Fact Sheet link on the homepage for information
- Change for Life website and apps
- The Caroline Walker Trust
Who to contact
- 01582 707400
- Nutrition and dietetic service for adults with a learning disability in Luton website
Where to go
- Nutrition & Dietetic Service
Dunstable Health Centre
- LU6 3SU
- Free NHS service
Last updated 29/06/2022