Skip to main content

Disabled Students Allowance

As a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a:

  • disability
  • long-term health condition
  • mental health condition
  • specific learning difficulty like dyslexia

You must also:

  • be an undergraduate or postgraduate student (including Open University or distance learning)
  • have a condition that affects your ability to study
  • qualify for student finance from Student Finance England
  • be studying on a course that lasts at least a year

The support you get depends on your individual needs and not on income.

What DSAs can pay for

You can get help with the costs of:

  • specialist equipment, like computer software
  • non-medical helpers, like a note-taker or reader
  • extra travel because of your disability
  • other things related to your studies, like photocopying

DSAs don’t cover disability-related costs you’d have if you weren’t attending a course, or costs that any student might have.

Visit the website below for information on how to apply, the assessment process, applicable courses and the amount you could get. 

Who to contact

Contact Name
Student Finance England

Last updated 04/08/2022