Luton Sensory Service (Children & Adults)
The Sensory Service is a small team of Social Care Assessors, Rehabilitation Officers and Habilitation Specialists based within Luton Council’s Adult Social Care department.
The Service provides assessment, registration, habilitation and rehabilitation to children and adults living in the borough, experiencing a significant sensory loss that cannot be corrected i.e. visual impairment, hearing impairment and dual sensory loss.
The Service receives referrals from a variety of sources which includes:
- Consultant Ophthalmologists advising that an individual is eligible for registration with Luton Council as a Sight Impaired (Partially Sighted) and Severely Sight Impaired (Blind) person
- Audiology Service
- Qualified Teachers for Visual Impairment (QTVI’s)
- Parental/Self Referrals
- Educational Colleagues i.e. schools and colleges
- Social Care Colleagues
- Charities & Voluntary Agencies i.e. Sight Concern
For children and young people our small team works alongside families and professional colleagues such as the QTVI’s, to provide equipment and training to develop and promote the individual’s safe and independent mobility around their:
- local community
- educational establishment i.e. nursery, school or college
- new education establishments following transition i.e. moving from primary to secondary
We also consider the completion of day to day tasks and activities as they become age appropriate i.e. making hot drinks and snack meals, which may include the provision of equipment and training.
Referrals to the Sensory Service for children and young people up to the age of 18 years should be made via the Rapid Intervention and Assessment Team (RIAT) with a request that these are forwarded to the Child Sensory Impairment Team.
- Tel: 01582 547653
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Referrals for young people aged 18 years and over should be made via the Adult Social Care Customer Service Centre with a request that these are forwarded to the Sensory Service.
- Tel: 01582 547659 or 547660
- Email: email@example.com
Last updated 07/06/2017