Children's Special Needs Nursing team
The special needs nursing team provides clinical care to children and young people with complex health needs or disabilities who attend special/mainstream schools/social care settings. We provide a wide range of services including:
- writing and amending health care plans
- checking, writing and implementing specific care plans such as epilepsy, diabetes, anaphylaxis
- checking and administering medication as well as training and supporting education staff in giving medication, feeds, auto injectors, inhalers and more
- referring to support services such as continence, physiotherapy, occupational therapy
- attending to unwell children at school
- providing on-going support in school for complex health needs
- monitoring students’ general wellbeing and growth monitoring
- providing health promotion, advice and information
- safeguarding support
- liaising with local healthcare, social care and education services
In most schools a member of the nursing team is generally on site on a daily basis.
However, sometimes they are needed elsewhere and, at these times, there is telephone cover in case of an emergency.
This service is provided to children and young people in Luton schools or who have NHS Luton GPs including:
- Woodlands Secondary School
- Lady Zia Wernher School
- Chiltern Schools (Kingsland and Beech Road sites)
- Richmond Hill School (East and West)
Please note: nursing team not present at the Richmond Hill School East and West sites.
For more information, please visit our website.
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Luton children's services
- 03334 050079
Where to go
- The Poynt
2-4, Poynters Road
- LU4 0LA
- Free NHS service.
Last updated 03/08/2022