Skip to main content

Occupational Therapy Service - Children's Social Care

Who does the service support?

The childrens’ social care occupational therapy service forms part of the Luton borough councils’ children with disabilities team.  Our small team provide a service to children and young people up to age 18 who have a permanent and substantial disability.

 Eligibility Criteria (2014)

Generally children up to the age of 18 years who have substantial and permanent physical disability and or the following:

  • Moving and handling concerns
  • Access issues (to home, bedroom, toilet, washing facilities)
  • Identified need for postural seating at home that:
    Enables the child a better chance to develop / achieve appropriate milestones
    Promotes postural alignment and thereby reducing risk of contractures, spinal curvature, aspiration, reflux, etc.
  • Shared carers - home environment, Moving and handling risk assessments
  • Severe learning disabilities and / or challenging behaviour at home that puts the child and / or their carers at significant / high risk of injury or is affecting the siblings essential needs (and development).
    We will only assess a child if their behavioural issues have been addressed by the Autism Spectrum Team, Behaviour and Tuition Team, CHAMS, and/or the Community and Learning Nurse Team
  • Transition work for young person around 16- 18 years of age.

What can you expect from the Service?

We can arrange the loan of a range of equipment that can encourage your child/young person to develop and be as independent as possible within their home and reduce the risk of harm to your child and those who care for them.  This includes amongst others, such items as specialist seating, bath aids and toilet seats. 

Where more extensive adaptation to the home is required to enable your child to safely access their home, bedroom and toilet facilities, we can arrange for low cost alterations to be carried out by our approved contractors, or advise and support a family’s application for a Disabled Facilities Grant to enable your child to have the facilities they require at home.

Moving and handling a child with disabilities can put both your child and those who care for them at risk of injuries.  We provide specialist assessment and advice on lifting and moving your child together with provision of specialist equipment.

How do you get involvement from the service/who can refer/request involvement?

Referral process

Referrals to our service may be made by a school or health professional (GP, health visitor, community nurse etc) involved with your child via the Family Partnership Service.  

Please note we do not accept self referrals. 

Please note: Wheelchair assessments are undertaken by the wheelchair service for which a separate referral is required.

What happens after the service has been involved?

 An assessment will be conducted at the child's home to assess the ways in which we can make it more suitable for the child and thereafter appropriate arrangements will be made accordingly.

What can parents/families do if they are not eligible for the service?

This will be referred back to the Family Partnership Service who will decide on what the next best appropriate steps would be for you and your child.



Download: Occupational Therapy Eligibility Criteria 2014

Who to contact

Contact Name
Family Partnership Service

Where to go

Luton Council, 2nd Floor, Town Hall Extension
George Street

Last updated 31/01/2023