COVID-19 is a new illness that can affect your lungs and airways. It's caused by a virus called coronavirus.The government has urged the public to take further steps to protect themselves and the wider population from the coronavirus, including:
- government announces further measures on social distancing
- shielding and protecting people defined as extremely vulnerable
- everyone to stay at home unless they need to get essential supplies such as food and medicines
- all those able to work from home to do so
- only travelling if absolutely necessary – public transport must only be used for essential travel
- many businesses and venues have been told to close to stop the spread of coronavirus
Get support locally
We know that many people who've been told they must self-isolate at home are not able to get help with essential or urgent supplies from family or friends.
If that includes you, the local groups, organisations and volunteers listed here can help to get the supplies and support you need during this challenging time.