Below is a list of services and support for children and young people from the LGBTQI+ community.
Stonewall supports people from the LGBTQI+ community
This is a website supporting children and young people from the LGBTQ+ community with access to information, advice and resources.
The Proud Trust
The Proud Trust is the home of LGBT+ Youth and this dedicated website is full of advice, information and resources for children and young people.
Transgender Mermaids has been supporting transgender, non-binary and gender-diverse children, young people, their families and professionals since 1995.
Sexual orientation and gender identity workshop
This resource includes a PowerPoint, lesson plan for teachers and resources to run a classroom activity.
After taking part in this workshop, you will be able to:
- explain the impact of gender identity and sexual orientation stereotypes and how the law protects people from discrimination
- describe what happened at the Stonewall Riots and how they have impacted LGBT+ people’s lives today
- explain how The Equality Act (2010) protects people from discrimination
- suggest ways we can help stop people being bullied for being different and ways to get support.
Guidance for schools on preventing and responding to sexist, sexual and transphobic bullying
• supports school staff in understanding sexist, sexual and transphobic bullying
• sets out why schools should act on these issues
• outlines strategies to prevent and respond to sexist, sexual and transphobic bullying and identifies other sources of further support and information, including clarifying the role of local authority staff and specialist support for schools
A national voluntary organisation and charity dedicated to supporting families and their LGBTQI+ loved ones.
FFLAG is part of the Safe Space Alliance, which is a LGBTQI+ led non-profit organisation that aims to help people identify, navigate, and create safe spaces for the LGBTQI+ community worldwide.
Switchboard LGBT+ Helpline
Our helpline provides you with support and information and will connect you to the right LGBTQ services or advice.
You can talk to us confidentially and anonymously about anything that’s on your mind.
We support people with a range of questions and we believe that listening can help, whether you are looking for information and support or just need someone to talk to.
Helpline 01273 204050
An LGBTQ+ mental health service, which is led and staffed by LGBTQ+ people.
Rainbow Mind's aims
- To offer inclusive, sensitive and non-judgmental support, providing a safe space for LGBTQ+ individuals to be their authentic selves free from judgement or discrimination.
- To reduce social isolation for LGBTQ+ people by providing opportunities for individuals to socialise and have access to facilitated, peer and user-led community support.
- To challenge assumptions, fears and prejudices about people who experience mental health problems and about the lives of people who identify as LGBTQ+.
Confidential one-to one support for LGBT people in Luton aged 13+ over the phone.
Telephone 01582 349373
OK2B is a group for LGBTQI+ young people.
The Group is held at the safe, and friendly Tokko Youth Space in Luton and enables young people to meet new people, get support from a great team of staff, play pool or games with other LGBTQI+ young people.
Telephone 01582 544990
The Beaumont Society
A national self help body run by and for the transgender community.
We welcome all transgender people and their partners, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, race, creed or colour and all varieties from the nervous newcomers to those who are experienced and confident in their preferred gender.
Telephone 01582 412220